Fantastic Four #292 "The Man Who Dreamed the World" (1986)
Writer/Artist: John Byrne
Inker: Al Gordon
Colorist: Glynis Oliver
Letterer: John Workman
their way back to Earth from the Negative Zone, the remaining Fantastic Four
(Sue Richards, Johnny Storm, and She-Hulk) hitch a ride with Nick Fury from the
S.H.I.E.L.D. satellite. They encounter temporal rifts bridging 1936 with 1986 and Fury
sees the disturbance as a chance to rid the world of Adolf Hitler once and for
all. Fearing the possible ramifications the Richards and the rest of the team
head to Berlin to stop him.
- Appearance by Adolf Hitler
- Mention is made of Junior Juniper and Lady Pamela Hawley
- Fury's later mentions that he had an opportunity to kill Hitler would seem to
indicate this adventure rather then any in Sgt Fury
- Fantastic Four/Silver Surfer DVD-Rom (2007)
- 44 Years of the Fantastic Four DVD (2005)
- Reprinted in:
- Fantastic Four by John Byrne Omnibus V.2
- Fantastic Four Visionaries: John Byrne
always a thrill to see Nick Fury handled by a master of the comics field,
and these issues penned and penciled by John Byrne are no exception.
The mindfuck story unravels perfectly with small subtle clues and although
saddled with allot of FF continuity, its not overwhelming or hard to
follow. Despite often showcasing a less-sophisticated Fury, the character
is very well done and his driven persistence is well used by Byrne. Fury's
determination to kill Hitler and stop WWII from ever happening is made
believable and his mentions of Junior Juniper and Pamela Hawley are poignant.
And nothing beats Nick crashing his car into what should be a holo-wall.